Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July

On July 3rd 1776, John Adams said July 4th ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade,with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other….

In my family, for 10 plus years Fourth of July was the day all our loved ones would come and eat and swim at our house. It was a time I looked forward to. We would usually end the day with some fireworks and full bellies. Times change and today I’m sitting here in my home with no one around and I ponder this day and it’s meaning. I will be with loved ones later today and I will eat and hopefully view some good fireworks. But when I say I’m pondering the 4th, I had some blog friends that helped me do this…visit my sweet friend at PINK ICING ON THE CAKE and realize what happened to the men who wrote the Declaration of Independence. Then go and visit my friend at Ponderings of a Pastor's Wife and listen to the wonderful video by Phillips, Craig & Dean entitled Freedom’s never Free. I thank the wonderful men and women who give their lives and those who leave their homes to fight for us. I remember them today with a thankful heart.

Best of all, when I think about freedom, I think about Jesus-who really set me free. John 8:36 says “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” I asked him to make me free when I was young and I thank him for that now as I am old. Romans 8:2 says “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” I wish I never sinned, but I do and I have the confident assurance that Jesus stands beside me and has already interceded for me , and that I am free of the burden of sin. And lastly, Galations 5:1 says “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of of bondage.” I’m thankful that Christ lives in me and is my best friend. Please mute my music and in between the hot dogs and the fireworks watch this video and let’s thank God who is the Giver of our Freedom.

Be blessed!

untitled

3 comments:

Putz said...

it was hard to mute that beautiful music while i watched the vidio, i so appreciate the good christian spirit you have in your music

Charlotte said...

I have seen this video before. I love the song. We used to sing it at our former church. It is scarrey to think that we could lose the freedom to worship. I can see our country going in that direction. We all need to be in prayer. Thanks for visiting my blog. You're welcome to come back any time. Hope you had a great 4th.

Betty said...

Very nice and uplifting post in celebration of 4th of July. Hope you had a good one.